Anything that can hold soil can become a home for plants?from classic terra-cotta pots to leaky soup tureens, from precious vases and antique urns to discarded tubs and heirloom baskets. Imagine a vast patio landscape, a small vernada planting, a miniature alpine roof garden, a luxurious water garden, some strawberry jars brimming with herbs, or one solitary pot. This book tells you everything you need to know to design, plant, and maintain a beautiful potted garden planted with annual flowers, ornamental perennials, herbs, mini-vegetables, shrubs, or even small trees.
- How to make plants comfortable in virtually any container.
- Instructions for building window and planter boxes from scratch.
- How to create a lush water garden in a small tub
- Planting techniques and maintenance tips for hanging gardens
- Spectacular plant combinations for containers
- Expert tips on soil mixes and winter protection
- Mail-order sources for plants that thrive in confined spaces, and more
Read excerpts from The Potted Garden.
...a practical, readable, and comprehensive handbook that will bring out the green thumb in anyone. What's exciting is the inclusion of lush photos and fresh ideas for unusual plant selections and potting materials, which will appeal to gardeners of varying levels of experience. —Library Journal